It was certainly quite an endeavor to move back across the country after just 11 months in Teton Valley. After swearing never to go that far with a Uhaul again, I found some budget movers online and made a reservation. Big mistake! They were very unclear as to when they would arrive to pick up our belongings, and after many phone calls and much debating, we insisted that WORLD WIDE VAN LINES (AKA never use this company!) return our deposit, as we were convinced they were a sham. So, on the day we thought we would be happily hitting the road WITHOUT a Uhaul, we drove to both Rexburg and Rigby Idaho to pick up the very same equipment from Uhaul that had moved us across the country the first time.
The day before, I had come down with mild food poisoning. So, needless to say, I was not feeling great as we began loading our belongings at 6:00 in the evening. We finished loading and cleaning the house the next day, which meant we hit the road at 3:00 PM, making our intended destination (10 hours away in Nebraska,) a true impossibility. We used Clyde as our mobile hotel and spent the night at a truck stop in Rawlins, reminiscing of the horrendous weather we had experienced in the opposite direction, and happily watching a movie on the computer.
The next day was nothing but Nebraska and more of Nebraska. This state is eternal. I have to say something about Kansas seemed more interesting and pretty, but maybe my hatred of the sheer distance across Nebraska is adulterating my memory. Again, we slept in a truck stop, and marveled at the reality and sheer, um, size of "corn-fed" folks. The third day was a welcome reprieve as we passed many state lines, making it feel like we were finally making progress. By the time we reached Phil's aunt and uncle's house in Louisville, we had spent the day in Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and Kentucky. We were certainly ripe for a shower by this time!
We made it to NC on a sunny Tuesday and I was delighted to see that the leaves were still making for quite a fall splendor. I had visions of chronicling this move with fun and assorted pictures, but when you drive 2000 miles in a Uhaul with the tail end of food poisoning, all you can really think about is getting to your destination. I will say with the lack of 60 MPH headwinds and the current state of gas, we spent $650 LESS in gas in this direction. Amazing! It feels a touch surreal to be back in NC- like Wydaho was a distant dream. But, I am indeed happy not to be driving the Pass, happy to see trees, and to see friends and family! Our re-launch party is this weekend, so we hope to see many of you at the shop. On to a new blog and a new chapter for the Hoffmanns!
Thursday, November 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment